Wednesday 16 May 2012

Sewing? Me? Yes!


I have a new hobby. Sewing. It's something that wasn't on my "Hobbies in a new country" list but that list was never complete anyway. I always wanted to design and make clothes, I just didn't believe that I could do it. One of the things that pushed me to get into it was hearing of more and more people who sew. I came to realise that if so many people can do it, I might be able to sew as well and anyway, it's worth trying.

My desire to sew comes from both positive and negative places. The positive is the desire to design, to create the things that are sitting in my head. I remember myself scathing designs in middle school when I hardly had any conscious interest in fashion. I don't know if it's something that I will be able to take to a pro level but making clothes for myself is a good start. The negative aspect that encouraged me to get into sewing is the frustration of not finding my size in stores, the disappointment in fabric quality and the unfaltering designs widely available in stores.

So I bought a sewing machine a few weeks ago and I wish I got it sooner! I am still learning and even basic projects take me some time but it's fun! At first it was so hard to even sew in a straight line but then I got the hold of it so it's just practice, practice, practice. I'll probably expand more on the projects I've done in a different post but to summarise: I tailored a dress, made a skirt based on this video, made a circle skirt and I still need to tailor a couple of jeans.

I think sewing is mainly about practice and patience. You need both to perfect. From there you can either be creative and make your our designs or sew based on patterns. I want to try both starting with patterns so later I can create my own designs. 

The main reason I'm writing it is to tell you that sewing is accessible. You can sew! I wish someone told me this a few years ago. You can buy a reasonable quality sewing machine for under $100 and learn how to sew from YouTube videos and tutorials on blogs. You can teach yourself and enjoy the process and the final result. So if you ever considered sewing, go for it! If I can do it, you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment